Monday, October 24, 2011

i love you!

These three words have a lot of meaning in our household. Nathan and I make a point to tell each other daily how much we love and care about each other. We also express our love endlessly to Tristan and have been since he was born. It's what keeps you going - knowing that those you love and care about also feel the same way. It's amazing how few people actually say these words in their family, with their children, their extended members, or with their friends. From timeless pieces such as Shakespeare to the modern day Romeo portrayed via the works of Nicholas Sparks, love is not only an expression of words, but an expression of actions and what you experience. This complex set of words can make or break a relationship, can pick you up when you are down, and can sometimes make you do anything for the one who tells you it. But the greatest thing about these words and is that I taught Tristan how to say them back in July. If I asked him to say "I love you", he would twirl his tongue in a convoluted way to ensure that what came out sounded like "I love you". I would solicit this phrase day and night - mostly because I loved how he actually says it. He also frequently comes up to both Nathan and I and gives us hugs or kisses - without us asking. He's a very lovable boy. But, this past weekend, we really felt the love when we told us he loved us ~ "I love you" ~ without us having ever having to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment