Wednesday, February 1, 2012

worst. mother. ever.

Tristan had gymnastics tonight - a new time at 6pm on Wednesdays. Normally he has every Saturday at 10am and the occasional 5:20pm class on Tuesdays. So 6pm was a new time for our new, normal routine. I brought him a fruit leather and some goldfish crackers (whole wheat, of course) and a cup full of juice for the ride to My Gym in Owings Mills. I did have a homemade Turkey Pot Pie ready to be baked in the oven once we returned. Now Tristan's school is 15 minutes from our house, but so is My Gym - but both in opposite directions - so from school to gymnastics there will be at least a 30-45 minute car ride - not including traffic. So I thought I was so prepared to have him bounce around in the gym for an hour and not have dinner until 7:30pm....and then I started thinking. We were talking to Grammy Walts on the phone on the way there and it occurred to me that there is no way in hell that Tristan is going to be able to make it to gymnastics without a snack (good thing I brought the fruit leather, goldfish, and fruit juice), but also have to sit through another 15-30 minutes on the way home after gymnastics - at 7:00pm. This is what was going through my head: He normally eats at 6pm and we are going to have to wait until 7:30pm for him to have dinner. What was I supposed to do?????

Luckily there was a Rite-Aid on the way. It was 5:35pm and gymnastics was at 6:00pm and right around the corner. Perfect.

I asked Bailey what type of Lunchable she wanted - ham or turkey. "I want the kind with a juice box in it and candy so that I can have a dessert." Okay, so what if they don't have a juice box in it, what would you like to drink? "Diet coke, because it's sooooo good." I paused knowing that I'm not sure Christine would want Bailey to have this, but made an executive decision that this was just going to have to happen - if needed. I went back to the store where I saw the refrigerators hoping for Lunchables in the case. Nope. All I found were cold drinks and frozen foods. Damn. Okay, I do need a diet coke now.....so I look. There are no small cans, only 20 ounce bottles. Damn. I pick the decaf one for Bailey.This should work. At least she won't have the sugar and the caffeine, right?

Next to think of what to feed the kiddos. I spot Chex Mix and ignorantly think, "This should be fine, it's like cereal." And grab a bag. Hey, at least it was the 1/3 sodium kind. I scan the rest of the isle to find something, something, that these kids would eat......I grab some Funyons - okay mostly for me because it reminds me of field trips when I was a kid. My mother always let me "pack my own lunch" for field trip days and I always picked Funyons because she never bought them. I scan the isles...Dinty Moore foods that need heated. Out. Tuna meal with lemon pepper flavor...possibly. Ummmm....No, how would I feed them? I have no utensils and they need to be able to eat the food themselves before gymnastics. Damn. Ummmmm.....Looking, looking, scanning. I got it! Vienna sausages. Yes, I said vienna sausages. Before you judge, I was trying my best to do what I could to provide the most nutrients to my child and Bailey. Ummmmm...well, there's chicken and regular. I don't know what regular is, so I will go with chicken. I'm now standing in the checkout line and I'm literally scanning the ingredients hoping that it's going to be sufficient. It's not, but I look away pretending that I don't see the other ingredients on the list...hmmmm. Bailey mentioned something about a dessert and the boy in front of me is begging his mother for some M&M's...maybe I should get her some. Wait, no. I see some Mini Cadbury Eggs that I selfishly love during the Easter holidays and grab a bag for everyone's dessert. This is awesome. $8.53 of awesome. Wow.

Okay, so we head back to the car and I distribute my findings to the group. I open the vienna sausages and pour the disgusting liquid on the concrete beside me until it's all gone. I try to grab one out to give to Tristan without tearing it up.I was able to accomplish this feat, at least. I gave one to both Bailey and Tristan. Tristan spit at it and wouldn't even try it. Bailey said, "I don't like it". So I poured the rest of the sausages on the concrete beside the car. Bye, bye. 

Next Bailey wants the Diet Coke and the Chex Mix. I give her and Tristan some. Then Tristan spies my Funyons and I give him one. He loves them - go figure. Bailey hates them though. Tristan proceeds to eat the entire 99 cent bag and a few Chex Mix crackers and drinks his juice. Hmmmmm.....Bailey is fairly content with the Chex Mix as well. I am the worst. mother. ever. and I'm going to hell for feeding my kid and his cousin vienna sausages, Funyons, and chex mix for dinner on a Wednesday night. 

I know there are many things that I do wrong as a parent, and get judged quite frequently for not being the best mother I can be. So I will just add this to the list of things that I just didn't do good enough for my child. All I can say is that I try my best everyday to be the best person I know how to be and sometimes I make mistakes because I am human. I don't know how else to express the point of life if we all don't make mistakes. Crossing my fingers in hopes that I don't mess this up for the rest of my life. And for those of you keeping track of everything I do wrong, here's another one for your list.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a little rough there for a bit, but you grabbed your sword and forged ahead. Kids are resilient and once in awhile, due to convenience, junk food is a necessary evil. You are doing an awesome job as a Mother and I don't think that you have anything to worry about.! Love you and keep your chin up.
    P'S'
    I loved this blog! I laughed so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MOM! You are always the best. I love you!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit, I was trying to reply to Mom instead of having it listed under...deleting it looks stupid now...I'm learning! XOXO

      Delete
  3. Briana! There is no way feeding your child a little bit of junk in a tough situation makes you a bad mom. I actually commend you for trying your best. How many mothers out there would have just dropped through a drive-thru and fed the kids chicken nuggets and french fries? You love your son and make decisions based upon your love for him. To me, that makes you an amazing parent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's sweet of you to say, Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Ahh, thanks! You rock too. You're my inspiration. Haha.

      Delete