Monday, August 27, 2012

my first 5K

Yowzers! Thanks to Robyn for pushing me to do this. I meant to train up to the day of the race, but with all the traveling for work and everything else going on, I didn't make it a priority. So here comes the day of the race. My first 5K. Boy was I worried that it was going to take me 3 hours to complete....So I stretched, and stretched, and hoped that my old body wouldn't fail me. Good thing Nathan and Tristan were there to cheer me on and take some pictures!





Then the race began. I don't know if it was the fact that there were others running beside me or that we weren't running in circles around a track, but I kept pushing on. I ran the entire first mile without stopping once. Wow, I couldn't believe I was able to do that. I saw all kinds of people around me of all ages continuing to run ~ and I think that motivating me as well. I kept pushing on. By this time I was at 9th street and just knew I didn't have much to go. It was when I saw everyone diverting towards Kanza park that I knew I still had a long way to go ~ but I kept at it. I stopped a few more times and power walked through when I did. I looked at my clock and realized it was 8:24am and texted Nathan to meet me at the end  by 8:30am (because we both really thought it was going to take me a while). As I turned the corner to the finish line, people were cheering me on, my lungs were killing me, and I was panting like a dog, but ran even faster into the finish line. I was so excited that I finished that I was overwhelmed that I almost burst into tears and threw up at the same time. I'm glad I didn't eat beforehand.


Nathan catching me stretching....



Wow. I couldn't believe it. I really finished. This was on my bucket list and now I can cross it off. Thank you so much Robyn for pushing me to do this. Robyn finished 3rd in her age group and I finished 11th with a time of 33:27.5. I've already signed up for my next one ~ the Color Run in Oct. Can't wait. I think it will be so much fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment